People’s reliance on various mobile apps to shop online has grown with each passing year. They enjoy ordering a variety of items from the comfort of their own home.
As a result, the demand for online shopping app development grows year after year. In addition, several businesses have established shopping apps, such as Amazon, in recent years in order to reach a larger audience and enhance sales.
What Exactly is an Online Shopping App?
If you live underneath a rock, you can most likely do something with the assistance of an online store. An online shopping app is a program that allows users to buy or sell anything they wish, such as computer hardware, consumer electronics, or services. These native apps enable customers to acquire whatever they desire without moving a muscle and businesses to increase sales 277.
What is it About the Amazon Shopping App that makes it so popular?
E-commerce and mobile will be the primary shopping channels for both retailers and customers by 2020. This was also the year when Amazon became the most downloaded shopping app not only in the United States but also globally, with over 169 million downloads.
Without a doubt, such leadership has an impact on the return metrics. For example, Amazon’s net sales for the first quarter of 2021 reached $108.518 billion, a 43.8 percent increase over the same quarter in 2020. So, what is it that has made Amazon such a successful Internet retailer?
Among all of Amazon’s selling factors, the following are the most crucial ones to consider:
- A collection of app features aimed at providing a rich digital purchasing experience. Easy navigation, categories, and sidebars, simple registration and sign-in process, discounts, wish lists, and much more are among these features. All application displays, including product pages, are ergonomically designed and provide all necessary information without clutter. Users may simply locate what they are looking for, whether it is product information, reviews, suggestions, high-quality photos, delivery information, or something else.
- Predictive search based on user search history and popular products, autocorrect functions, filters, and a solid recommendation system are all part of smart search and recommendations. All of this contributes to improved search capacity and gives users a simple and error-free search function.
- Strong marketing approach based on offering the most products through a user-friendly interface, readily growing from small to large and employing affiliate products and facilities. Indeed, Amazon now fully utilizes affiliate products, provides products from dozens of third-party vendors, and just changed the look of its app with a new color scheme and revamped navigation.
- Another distinguishing quality of Amazon is that it is not a clone of any other shopping app; therefore, while developing a shopping app, it is critical to make it unique and inspiring. With that in mind, let’s get started on the primary stages required to create a successful shopping app.
How to Make an Amazon-like Online Shopping App?
Here are the steps to creating an eCommerce app like Amazon to sell items online.
1. Carry Out Market Research
Here are some of the most important things you should do when conducting thorough market research:
- Understand Your Potential Audience
First and foremost, you must develop a user persona. It includes information such as name, age, profession, issues, status, and so on. You will have a better understanding of your target audience if you make a list.
- Making Plans for Your Online Shopping App
After you’ve determined your target audience, you’ll need to develop some crucial features for your eCommerce app.
You should first be informed of the various eCommerce business models and then select the ideal one for your needs. All of this planning will be extremely beneficial to you in the long run.
- Understand Your Competitors
After you’ve decided what kind of things you intend to market, the following step is to do a competitor analysis. You should be informed of all the finest apps for small businesses in order to compete with them and outperform them.
If you want to flourish in a sector where other shopping apps sell comparable things, you must provide your customers with something more to entice them to visit your online shopping app.
You should research the best eCommerce apps and see what they have to offer. After evaluating competing apps, you should have a good notion of what you want to provide your target audience.
- Integration of Advanced Technology
During your market study, keep an eye out for numerous future technologies that you can incorporate into your shopping app. It would also assist an eCommerce app development business in making your shopping app more scalable.
You must be aware of the most recent technologies because they are advancing on a daily basis. Some promising technologies for the near future include voice command (Alexa skill), augmented reality, virtual reality, the internet of things, and so on.
If you currently have an online shopping app, you can consider incorporating these technologies into it.
2. Begin Small and Take Action
You should not create the complete eCommerce app at once. Why? It will take a significant amount of your time and work.
Instead, you should think about MVP app development. It is the app’s most basic version, with few features. It enables you to get input from early adopters and update the app as needed.
Furthermore, you can swiftly deploy your app and win the trust of your potential audience.
3. Select the Most Important Features
When you plan to develop a shopping app similar to Amazon for your company, you must be clear about what vital features you want to add. Search, product list, easier navigation, faster checkout, registration/login, payment gateways, live chat, push alerts, newsletters, and other features are included.
We discussed the MVP app in the previous stage. Here are some key considerations for the MVP version of the online shopping app.
Provide an Easy-to-Use Login
When a visitor comes to your mobile store for the first time to buy something, you should not overwhelm them with forms that request personal information. Allow the user to look around your eCommerce app as a guest.
If a user is interested in your products or services, you can allow them to create an account using a simple registration form or third-party sign-up.
Product Search Function
Make sure the mobile eCommerce template you’re using for your app has a search feature.
It is an essential component of any online shopping app since it allows clients to search for products that interest them.
You should also add a plethora of filters to ensure that users can quickly find the things they are looking for. You can also include features such as search autocomplete, word suggestion, spelling correction, and so on.
To incorporate these features into your app, you must first understand the role of AI in eCommerce. In addition, several organizations around the world integrate AI and ML in their eCommerce apps to give users a sophisticated product search tool.
User Feedback & Ratings
According to Fera.ai, user evaluations can improve sales by up to 18%. Furthermore, firms with 9+ reviews earn 52% more than the average.
These user reviews serve as social proof, promote brand visibility, improve online reputation, impact purchasing decisions, and notify you of areas for improvement.
As a result, you should incorporate review and rating capabilities into your online purchasing app. You can also request that users rate their purchases. Finally, users should be able to sort favorable and bad reviews.
Options for a Smooth Checkout
Many customers throughout the world add items to their shopping carts while using an eCommerce app. However, a large number of people abandon the cart.
According to Fundera, the average cart abandonment rate for eCommerce stores is 69.57 percent.
There are several important reasons behind this. Shipping costs, delayed loading times, and fewer payment alternatives are among the most important of these reasons.
You can enhance sales by doing the following:
- Provide a Guest Checkout Option: Some consumers like to add product(s) to their cart, pay, and check out right away. Making account creation mandatory would be a barrier for many people. As a result, you should offer a guest checkout option.
- Showcase the Entire Checkout Process: Include the total number of steps a user must do to complete payment and exit the app. Customers will have a better notion of how much time they will need to spend on your shopping app after going through the complete process.
- Simple Checkout Procedure: Keep the checkout process as simple as possible by avoiding extraneous queries. Allow consumers to instantly verify their payment information for faster checkout.
- The engine of Recommendation: A recommendation system is a database filtering technology that recommends products to customers based on their interests and behavior data. This engine is used by a number of top companies around the world, including Amazon, Netflix, Goodreads, and others, to engage more users.
Many shoppers prefer to buy suggested things while using an eCommerce app. There are numerous advantages to including a recommendation engine, like increased traffic, increased sales, and giving a consistent brand experience, among others.
All of these advantages can also be obtained by incorporating a recommendation engine into your online shopping app.
- Payment Methods That Are Safe & Secure: Your users should feel secure when conducting a financial transaction using your eCommerce mobile app.
Integrate rigorous security measures into your app to ensure that your users’ financial data is secure and that they may explore and pay for the product of their choice with complete peace of mind.
When you offer a variety of payment alternatives and employ the greatest security features in your app, more and more people will begin to trust your eCommerce app.
- Shipping is always free: Everyone enjoys receiving something for free. You can attract more clients by providing free shipping up to a certain quantity (it could be the amount of product they buy or even a geographic area).
4. Make an Eye-Catching Design for Your Shopping App
One of the most important things to remember is to constantly create a professional and modern design that expresses your brand’s message to the public.
To make your eCommerce app more visually appealing, you should request that the UI UX Design Agency take the following factors into account:
- The firm emblem is prominently displayed to increase brand awareness.
- Display all of the things you’re selling in a visually appealing manner.
- In order to attract more attention, provide brief films as well as photographs of the merchandise.
- Adhere to the platform-specific rules.
- The app should be simple to use, intuitive, and scalable.
5. Choose a Platform
Choosing a platform is critical for quickly developing and launching your app.
You must perform market research to establish which platform that target market uses with respect to their geographic location.
If you want to reach people in North America and Europe, you should use iOS. If you want to reach Asian countries, Android is a good option.
Depending on the results of your market research, you can decide whether to create a shopping app for Android, iOS, or both.
According to the developers, iOS development is quick and easy because they simply need to look for the two most recent versions of Apple devices and OS.
In the case of Android, developers must consider a variety of screen sizes and operating systems. You can also select to create an app that works with the most recent Android smartphones.
You can use hybrid app development to target both platforms. Developers use some of the best hybrid frameworks to create a low-cost app that operates across several platforms.
Progressive web apps are another alternative if you have a limited budget yet wish to target several platforms.
Several well-known eCommerce behemoths around the world have launched PWA in order to reach a larger audience and enhance sales.
6. Customer Service and Feedback
A feedback area is required to learn about all of the great and negative aspects of your local shopping app. It will assist you in resolving any issues that are negatively impacting the customer experience.
Another important aspect to consider is delivering exceptional customer service in order to improve each user’s experience.
If users have any difficulties while signing in, selecting the appropriate product, or making a payment, there should be either an operator (during office hours) or a chatbot available to assist them.
7. Spread the Word About Your Online Shopping App
Various online shopping apps fail because they do not perform enough marketing. As a result, it is critical to market your eCommerce app in mobile stores so that more people are aware of it and use it to purchase things from your store.
You must first optimize your online shopping app for the app store. As a result, your app will begin to rank in the store, and you will begin to receive more downloads.
Another thing you should concentrate on is social media marketing in order to get the word out about your shopping app.
Start a blog to educate and enlighten consumers about the latest products available on your app.
Alternatively, you can outsource app store optimization and digital marketing to a digital marketing organization.
None of the consistent things work for an extended period of time. You should constantly optimize your program based on user input and your own analyses.
Always strive to provide good value to your consumers by optimizing the application. If you want your eCommerce firm to succeed, you should never stop this process.
You should begin planning the project now that you understand the important development processes and have assessed the expense of each phase. If you want to create the Amazon clone application, you must make it compatible with multiple platforms, like iOS, Android, and cross-platform. Because there are various applications accessible on the market nowadays, you must think outside the box and be distinctive in order to stand out from the crowd.
If you wish for a mobile application like Amazon and also have a fantastic app development idea, you need to employ a mobile app development business that can turn your thoughts into reality, i.e., a perfect online shopping app.
I am an experienced author, writer, and content strategist with 7+ years of experience in crafting technical content that adds value to user search and engages visitors. I am passionate about core tech writing covering clone apps like uber, discord, and other Netflix clones, SaaS application development, web app development, mobile app development, etc.